General Ride Information
Everyone is welcome on rides facilitated by SPBC; membership is not required. Of course, we hope that after you ride with us you will want to join and help keep the club rolling! With limited exception, all of these rides are "Show and Go." Unless otherwise noted, they start at 8:00 AM in the south parking lot of North Shore Pool (Map). Check our Facebook group for the latest updates.
Helmets are required for all riders and use of tri-bars are prohibited within the group. Follow traffic laws and use established group riding techniques. If you are unfamiliar with group techniques, please ride to the rear and observe. Safety is everyone's priority and you may be asked to leave the group if you exhibit unsafe habits. Be aware that cycling is a dangerous sport. You ride at your own risk.
Rides begin at 8 AM starting July 15
The St. Petersburg Bicycle Club’s largest rides are on Saturday mornings, and they offer the most variety for speed, route and distance. For these reasons we recommend your first ride with the club be a Saturday ride. Beginning at 8:00 AM, our rides are called out, usually via a bullhorn, from fastest (26+ mph) to under 16 mph.
Along with the ride speed, we call North rides and South rides. This is the general direction the ride will travel, the number is the speed. For example, “22 South” ride will travel South from the Pool to Pinellas Point and back at around 22 mph. A “22 North” ride will travel North from the Pool to Weedon Island at around 22 mph, etc.
The North and South routes are each about 20 miles round trip. Occasionally some riders go to Ft. DeSoto which is about 45 miles round trip at a speed predetermined by those present.
At slower speeds, there is a no-drop policy. If you fall behind, the group will wait. If you tire on the faster rides, there will be another ride behind at a slower pace you can join. Some rides are social rides with a premium on fun. If you’re a new rider, let the ride caller know. The caller can help you find the group best suited for your interests.
There are usually 2 rides that leave @ 8:30 am from the St. Petersburg Main Library, 3745 9th Ave N. (Map).
- 20 - 30 mph ("A"): Clearwater via Gulf Beaches, 35+ miles
- 16 - 20 mph ("B"): Social Ride, 20 - 35 miles
Social Rides usually include a stop for breakfast & the destinations vary by group consensus. Some typical destinations (with variations in routes) are:
- Weedon Island
- Pink Streets (South St. Pete)
- Pinellas Park
- Fort DeSoto
- Loop to Seminole vai the Pinellas Trail
- Skyway Trail (Meisner bridge to rest area)
- Taylor Park via Walsingham Park
User Initiated Rides
These are more informal and often smaller rides that have gained a following:
- Saturday 7:00 am: North Shore Pool (901 N Shore Dr NE) to Ft. Desoto @ 20-22 mph.
- Saturday 8:30 am: USF (6th Av. S & 2nd St. S.) to Ft. Desoto @ 26-30 mph
- Every other Sunday 7:30 am: Lemony Fresh San Antonio Hills. About 43 miles. Check Event Calendar for schedule
- Sunday 7:30 am: Paciugo (300 Beach Dr.) to Pass-A-Grille via Pinellas Point & the Pinellas Bayway @ 20-22 mph. Meets Seminole-based ride heading north on Gulf Blvd. to Park Rd. Bridge with sprints. Brunch near Pinellas Trail. About 40+ miles.
- Sunday 8 am: USF to Pass-A-Grille @ 20-24 mph. About 30 miles. We've heard of a 7 am ride that leaves from Northshore pool and circles backwards through the South route before joining the 8 am. The 7:00 ride is at a slower, warm-up pace.
- Tuesday & Thursday 7 am: North Shore Pool to Pass-A-Grille & Ft. Desoto @ 20-22 mph. About 45 miles. Some riders may return from Pass-A-Grille and meet the second loop of the 8 am Weekday ride below.
- Tuesday & Thursday 5 pm: USF to Ft. Desoto @ 24-30+ mph
- Wednesday am (time varies depending on time of year): Seminole City Park & Pinellas Trail (Map) to Belleair, over three bridges through Clearwater to Dunedin @ 15-18 mph, about 35 miles. Brunch & return via trail. Check Facebook for updates
- Thursday 10 am: Billy’s Stone Crab Seafood & Steak (1 Collany Rd) on Tierra Verde, around Fort Desoto @15-20 mph, about 20 miles. Lunch.
- Thursday, 6 pm: Paciugo - loop via the South route, backwards
All holiday rides start at North Shore Pool. Riders take off riding sharp at 8:30 AM. All rides are free, and the public is welcome. Specifics are posted a few days in advance on our Facebook group.
Upcoming Holiday Rides:
- Labor Day - Monday, 09/04/2017 (NOTE: 8:00 AM start time)
- Thanksgiving Day - Thursday, 11/23/2017
- Christmas - Monday, 12/25/2017
- New Year's Day - Monday, 01/01/2018
- Memorial Day - Monday 05/28/2018
- Independence Day - Wednesday, 07/04/2018
Weekday Rides (Mon - Fri)
These rides take the "standard" South route: 4th St. South to Pinellas Point, then North on 31st through Lakewood’s St. Petersburg CC golf course before turning North for home on 6th street. This loop is about 18 miles with three optional sprint points on Pinellas Point, at the end of the golf course and past “Thrill Hill” coming home
The 8 am start is from USF (Map). Other weekday rides are listed above. This ride can have up to 50 riders on any given day. A partial second loop follows at a faster pace for another 9 miles. Occasionally some riders go to Pass-A-Grille for total of 30 miles.
NEW RIDE. Recently, a new ride has begun leaving USF on Tuesdays and Fridays @ 7:45. The pace is slightly slower than the 8 a.m. ride, about 17-19 mph. Some riders may do a second loop that could be faster. (See map above.)
All rides are “Show and Go”. Check our Facebook group for the latest updates.
Links to Other Rides
Follow this link: http://synthetictransport.com/vamp-rides/ to find suggestions compiled by Kent Polk for longer rides.
Tampa Bay Weekly Rides. Provided by Brian Clarke on Google Docs.
Florida Bicycle Racing Association Calendar